01 February 2013

Multiplication

Kelley and I have been part of a home group at The Village Church for exactly two years. It's been amazing. We've laughed and cried with everyone over births and deaths, and I know I have grown and matured because of everyone in the group.

During this summer and fall, Kelley and I felt like it was time for us to split off and start our own group. The Village calls this "Gospel-centered multiplication" in what I guess amounts to their mission statement. They added that prefix to emphasize how we should "make disciples of all nations," as Jesus tells us in Matthew 28. For a Christian, making disciples must revolve around Jesus. Anything else props up the self and is rooted in sin.

We just had signups this weekend for all the new groups. Kelley and I were pretty excited going in, and perhaps had some last-minute doubts. Would anyone join our group? How many? What if too many are interested? Are we really prepared to lead the spiritual needs of these people? What if we didn't like the people who signed up?

In reality, these questions were meaningless. God had a plan for who would join and how many. He already knew how long the group would last, and whether or not we would succeed in this journey. I think it was a lot easier preparing for the daunting task ahead when focusing on God's plan and abilities instead of my own. Funny how that works.

It turned out great. Signups for home groups at TVC is more like speed dating than anything. There's a bunch of tables lining the hall and the folks looking to signup in a new group just go at it. Find your city, or one nearby, and hit up the leaders until you find something you like. You don't have many conversations because there are so many people there. Instead, you listen as the group leader(s) talk to the few people before them about the quick and easies - meeting time, location, style, kids/no kids, etc. Kelley and I really enjoyed the people we were able to speak with, and we're stoked to get started. It's sad to leave our old group, but we feel really good about moving on in advancing God's kingdom.

* * * * *

Speaking of multiplication, fatherhood is wonderful. It feels so good to see my daughter when I come home each night. She's just to the point now where she can recognize faces. When I come home and she sees me, she smiles real big. It's a feeling that can't be matched.

It's funny thinking about Molly as a real person with thoughts and feelings. So far, she mostly just cries, coos, and sleeps. Once she gets mobile and learns how to talk, I'm sure everything will be so different. I can't wait!

No comments: